What kinds of things can I come to psychotherapy and counselling for?
Sometimes the issues are common dilemmas or difficulties we all might face, and other times the challenges are of a more particular nature. Psychotherapy and counselling can help you with difficulties in many areas in your life. Some examples are:
- achieving balance in your life
- finding meaning and purpose in your life
- sexual abuse and trauma
- eating difficulties
- making lifestyle changes
- dealing with chronic illness or other health-related issues
- adoption related issues
- fertility related issues
- exploring questions of spirituality
- sexuality and sexual orientation
- relationship challenges
- gender issues
So how can this process actually help me?
You will be able to tell your story in a professional and supportive environment. The therapist can guide you to understand what really matters to you now. This process often helps clients to see things more clearly. We then work together to make the differences in your life that are important to you.
What is psychotherapy and counselling?
Although there is much overlap between psychotherapy and counselling it can be useful to identify the main differences. Counselling tends to be a shorter process, which is problem focused and deals more with day-to-day issues. Psychotherapy tends to be a longer process and often explores how and why things have become this way, which usually includes reflecting on our personal history. Psychotherapy can help us to become newly conscious of the patterns of how we think, feel and act. Psychotherapy also often uses the relationship between the client and the therapist as a valuable resource to reflect on wider relationship patterns.
Does the therapist tell anyone if I come to see you?
What is talked about during the session is confidential. Your therapist will talk with you about this in more detail during your first session.
What does it cost?
The cost of a one hour session varies between therapists. Fees to be arranged with the therapist. There are some situations where your counselling/psychotherapy is subsidised. If you are on a disability allowance with WINZ you can often claim a significant subsidy. If you are seeking therapy as a result of sexual abuse, ACC subsidises the full fee. There are some insurance companies that reimburse psychotherapy and counselling.
How long does it all take?
Each session usually lasts between 50 to 60 minutes. Your therapist will talk with you about how many sessions you need. Therapy can be short, medium or long term.
Can I bring a friend?
You are welcome to bring a support person. It can be helpful to talk to your therapist about this.
When are you open?
Hours of work vary with each therapist. Let your therapist know your time restrictions. If your therapist can’t accommodate these he or she will try to find you a time with another therapist.
Where do I find you?
The Bungalow is at 268 Mt Albert Road, Sandringham. This is close to the intersection of Sandringham Road and Mt Albert Road. There is plenty of off-street parking, and the phone number is (09) 629 2399. The voice-mail system will guide you to the therapist of your choice.
What happens in the sessions?
This depends very much on the issue you bring and on your therapist’s individual style. Here are some examples of what may happen in your psychotherapy and counselling session.
• If you are in a crisis which needs an immediate response, your therapist will usually work in a very practical way to help you plan how to manage the situation safely.
• If there is a problem to solve or an important decision to make, you will be able to explore your options and choices with your therapist.
• Sometimes, when we struggle with the way we think, feel or act, it can be useful to explore underlying patterns or unresolved issues. The process of talking through related life events will help you to gain clarity and experience new ways of being.
• Each therapist will have his or her own individual style. It can be useful to discuss your expectations, hopes or fears.
• Whatever the style or issue, you will be met with respect and dignity.